How to show animation(using Storyboard or some other way) when user mouse over an item in a ListBox?

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I would like to show an animation when user mouse over an item in a ListBox. Is it possible to do? If so, how can I do that? Any help is really appreciated...              

<StackPanel Margin="0" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center">

<TextBlock x:Name="lblLeftList" FontSize="14" Margin="0,0,0,10" Foreground="#FFC8B5B5"><Run Text="The first list"/></TextBlock>

<ListBox x:Name="leftList" ScrollViewer.HorizontalScrollBarVisibility="Auto" ScrollViewer.VerticalScrollBarVisibility="Auto" Margin="20,10,20,20" Height="435" Width="242" HorizontalAlignment="Center" VerticalAlignment="Center">

<ListBox.ItemTemplate>

<DataTemplate>

<dd:DropTarget Width="200" Height="20"

Background="Red" ShowHover="False" >

<dd:DropTarget.Content>

<dd:DragSource x:Name="drgSourceLeft" ShowReturnToOriginalPositionAnimation="True" MouseEnter="drgSourceLeft_MouseEnter"

AllDropTargetsValid="True" DragHandleMode="FullDragSource" DropMode="ReturnDragSource" AutoFitGhost="True">                                          

<dd:DragSource.Ghost>

<Grid Width="200" Height="20" Background="{Binding Background}" x:Name="grdLeftItem">

<TextBlock x:Name="txtLeftItem" Text="{Binding Name}" Opacity="0.5"

FontSize="12" VerticalAlignment="Center"

HorizontalAlignment="Center"/>

</Grid>

</dd:DragSource.Ghost>

<Grid Width="200" Height="20" Background="{Binding Background}">

<TextBlock x:Name="leftItem" Text="{Binding Name}"

FontSize="12" VerticalAlignment="Center"

HorizontalAlignment="Center" >           

</TextBlock>

</Grid>

</dd:DragSource>

</dd:DropTarget.Content>

</dd:DropTarget>

</DataTemplate>

</ListBox.ItemTemplate>

</ListBox>

</StackPanel>

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2010 at 7:05 PM

The easiest way to solve this would probably be to surround each listboxitem with a grid (so: first element in the datatemplate is a grid), capture that grids' Loaded event, and add handlers to the Grid's MouseEnter event to trigger your animation.  A more elegant way could be to write a custom control which would serve as a ListboxItem and implements that behaviour for you.

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Great.. Thank you very much Kevin..

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:05 AM
KevD wrote:

The easiest way to solve this would probably be to surround each listboxitem with a grid (so: first element in the datatemplate is a grid), capture that grids' Loaded event, and add handlers to the Grid's MouseEnter event to trigger your animation.  A more elegant way could be to write a custom control which would serve as a ListboxItem and implements that behaviour for you.

Kevin,

As you mentioned, I would like to write a custom control to implement ListBoxItem animation behaviour. I am not a advanced programmer and not quite sure how to do that. Would you able to help me with this or direct me to some resources in the web. I really appreciate your time and consideration.

This is what I have so far...

private ObservableCollection<ListContent> leftItems; 

public class ListContent

{

public string Name { get; set; }

public GradientBrush Background { get; set; }

}

…………… 

XDocument doc = XDocument.Load(""); 

IEnumerable<XElement> elements = doc.Element("").Elements("").Single(x => (string)x.Attribute("") == moduleName).Element("").Elements("");

leftItems = new ObservableCollection<ListContent>();

foreach (XElement node in elements)

{

leftItems.Add(new ListContent() { Name = node.Value, Background = getGradient(true) });

} 

leftList.ItemsSource = leftItems;

Thanks,

Samanf..

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:56 AM
Edited Jun 3, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I guess you solved it by now, if not you can try to do what I did.

I use 2 options:

• with attached behaviors: i wrote an behavior and attached it to my item template (for mouse over, drag, drop, correct drop) . Don't forget to define the STATES of your ITEM. I suppose you use a custom control as an ITEM.

or

• i wrote a custom control (i needed a stack panel but to be filled from down) that inherits panel, overriding few functions.

Regards,

Radu

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM
Edited Jun 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Here is my MoveOnTop behavior. 

Imports System.Collections.Generic
Imports System.Windows.Interactivity
Imports System.Windows.Media.Effects.DropShadowEffect

Public Class moveOnTop
    Inherits TriggerAction(Of DependencyObject)

Private Const zIndexStrips = 0

Protected Overrides Sub OnAttached()

MyBase.OnAttached()
        Dim el As FrameworkElement = Me.AssociatedObject
        AddHandler el.MouseEnter, AddressOf el_MouseEnter
        AddHandler el.MouseLeave, AddressOf el_MouseLeave

End Sub

Protected Overrides Sub Invoke(ByVal parameter As Object)

End Sub

Private Sub el_MouseEnter(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As MouseEventArgs)
        VisualStateManager.GoToState(Me.AssociatedObject, "Focused", True)
        Me.ChangeZindex(100)
    End Sub

Private Sub el_MouseLeave(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As MouseEventArgs)
        VisualStateManager.GoToState(Me.AssociatedObject, "Base", True)
        Me.ChangeZindex(++zIndexStrips)
    End Sub

Private Sub ChangeZindex(ByVal zIndex As Integer)
        Dim parent As DependencyObject = Me.AssociatedObject
        While parent IsNot Nothing
            If (TypeOf (parent) Is strip) Then
                Canvas.SetZIndex(parent, zIndex)
                Exit While
            End If
            parent = VisualTreeHelper.GetParent(parent)
        End While
    End Sub

End Class

As you see, I want to bring on top only the "strip" the rest of the controls are not moved on top. Maybe is not the best one, but it suits my needs.